Jam: 15 minutes and refrigeration for 30 minutes.
Buns: 90 minutes to prepare dough, 15 minutes to bake
Jam: 1 jar, 8 heaping tablespoons
Buns: Makes 8 small bread rolls
Strawberry Chia Seed Jam:
2 cups of strawberries , diced
1 cup water
1/4 cup chia seeds
1/4 cup maple syrup or honey
2 teaspoons yeast
2 tablespoons maple syrup
½ cup lukewarm water
2 cups organic four (or use unbleached whole wheat flour)
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1. Prepare the bun dough first, put the yeast, maple syrup, and water into a cup. Stir, cover, and keep in a warm spot for 10 minutes.
2. Sift the flour into a glass bowl that is at warm room temperature, and sprinkle with salt. Mix until blended. Make a well in the middle of the flour, and pour the yeast mixture into the well and begin combining. Form into soft dough. Turn your dough onto a floured board and knead well, for at least 5 minutes. Form into one ball. Use extra-virgin olive oil to grease a bowl. Then place the dough (un-creased or smooth side up) into the bowl and rub oil over the dough.
6. Cover the bowl with a cotton cloth and keep in a warm spot. Leave until the dough has doubled in size. 30 minutes to 1 hour. While the dough is setting, make the chia seed jam...
7. Place all ingredients for Strawberry Chia Seed Jam into a pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and stir constantly so the chia seeds do not burn on the bottom of the pot. When the mixture has reduced by half and has thickened (about 10 minutes), allow to cool and then place in a glass jar and cool completely before placing in the fridge until the buns are ready! Now complete the buns...
8.Turn dough ball onto a floured board and knead again for 5 minutes until a tough consistency is achieved. Divide the dough into six equal parts and knead each part into a ball. Place the dough balls close together on a baking sheet. Place uncovered in a warm place and allow to rise again by ¼ inch. This will take 10 minutes. Preheat oven to 465°F while waiting for dough to rise again. Bake at 465°F for 5 minutes. Reduce heat to 180°F and bake for another 5–10 minutes, until the rolls have risen and are slightly golden brown.
9. Serve the buns warm with the jam on top! Keep let over jam in the fridge for the next day. It will stay good in the fridge for a month! The honey is a natural preservative. Enjoy.
1. Use mulberries, blueberries, blackberries and or raspberries for a different flavored jam.
2. Use buckwheat flour and rice flour for a gluten free bun.
3. Add a layer of peanut butter for Peanut Butter and Jelly!
+ Jam: Anti-inflammatory, high in protein, aids digestion, refined sugar free, replacement for jam with refined white sugar.
+ Bun: Free of preservatives, free of bleach, organic, homemade and a natural healthy bread substitute.
+ Bun Calories: 224 Total Fat: 4g Carbohydrate: 44g Dietary Fiber: 4g Protein: 5g
* Every single recipe on this website uses nature’s ingredients, only. Always choose organic, local and seasonal whenever possible.
This recipe was created by Liana Werner-Gray.
Photo thanks to Roxxe NYC Photography
This recipe is part of © 2013 The Earth Diet ™ All Rights Reserved