It is stimulating and excites the body by releasing serotonin!
Total making time: 2 hours including cooling
1 cup extra virgin coconut oil, plus more for pans
1/2 cup cacao powder, plus more for pans
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon himalayan salt salt
1 3/4 cups coconut sugar
2 large organic free range eggs plus 2 large egg yolks (room temperature)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup almond milk (or hemp milk or rice milk)
For melted chocolate: (melt together on a double boiler)
5 ounces (8 tablespoons) of melted cacao butter
2 tablespoons of cacao powder
2 tablespoons of maple syrup
For 'cake flour': (blend together to get a fine flour meal consistency)
1/4 cup buckwheat
1/4 cup rice flour
1/4 cup oat flour (rolled oats ground)
1/4 cup whole wheat flour (use oats or rice flour instead to keep this recipe GLUTEN FREE!)
For icing: (in mixing bowl, use electric mixer, cream the sugar with coconut oil until mixutre is thick and well combined. Add the almond milk, cacao and vanilla and continue to mix until smooth)
2 cups of coconut sugar
1/4 cup extra virgin coconut oil
1/4 cup almond milk
3/4 cup cacao powder
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Oil two 8-inch round cake pans; dust with cacao and then tap out excess. Line bottom of each pan with a round of parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour mix, cacao, baking powder and salt, then set aside.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the coconut oil and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition, then beat in melted chocolate and vanilla. With mixer on low, add the flour and milk in this order: one third of the flour, half of the milk, another third of the flour, the other half of the milk and the last third of the flour.
- Divide the batter between prepared pans and smooth the tops. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes until a toothpick inserted in center of a cake comes out clean.
- Cool in pans 15 minutes; run a knife around edge of each pan, and move cakes onto a wire rack to cool entirely.
- Now time for icing the cake... Place one cake on a flat surface and spread the top with 1/3 of CHOCOLATE ICING. Place second cake on top, and spread remaining chocolate icing over top and sides of cake. Now carefully transfer frosted cake to a serving platter.
- Serve with cherries and whipped cashew cream!
This recipe is DAIRY FREE, soy free, GMO free, corn free, refined sugar free. Using earths cleanest ingredients to make a delicious lush chocolate cake!
This recipe was created by Liana Werner-Gray the day before Valentines Day 2013.
This recipe is part of © 2013 THE EARTH DIET ™ All Rights Reserved