1 cup extra virgin coconut oil plus extra for cooking
one brown onion diced
3/4 cup nutritional yeast (or more if you like it cheesier!)
3 cloves of garlic diced
1 tablespoon himalayan salt
1/2 cup fresh thyme
1 tablespoon of sesame oil
1 cup of chopped cauliflower
1 packet of brown rice pasta - macaroni!
5 cups of vegetable stock
(or make your own vegetable stock: boil for 1.5-2 hours in a large pot... 5 cups of water with 2 carrots diced, 2 tomatoes chopped, 3 celery stalks chopped, 1 small onion diced, 2 cloves of garlic diced, one leek chopped, 3 teaspoons of himalayan salt, a handful of bay leaves, 2 tablespoons of thyme and 2 tablespoons of parsley... After boiling drain so you are left with the liquid. Use this as vegetable stock and you can store in glass jar in fridge for one week. Discard the fiber of the vegetables, use it for compost or eat it, do what you like to be resourceful.)
1. In a large pot add the vegetable stock and coconut oil and bring to the boil. Stir and then add the pasta.
2. While the pasta is boiling, in a fry pan heat extra virgin coconut oil. Add the onion and garlic and fry until golden. Then Add the salt and thyme and fry together for a couple minutes and then add all of this fry into the pasta pot.
3. Next add the chopped cauliflower and thyme and let simmer on medium heat for 4 minutes.
4. Add the nutritional yeast and stir.
5. Add the sesame oil as the sauce starts to thicken.
6. It is ready when the pasta is cooked and the sauce is thicker.
+ To make the sauce thicker add more nutritional yeast, cauliflower and/or pasta.
Try adding one chopped zucchini!
+ If it becomes too dry add more sesame or coconut oil.
+ If you want it cheesier add more nutritional yeast!
+ Add more salt if you like it saltier!
+ Add peas for some color.
+ Add curry powder for MAC N CHEESE CURRY STYLE ;)
This recipe is DAIRY FREE, SOY FREE and GLUTEN FREE. It is a great alternative to 'cheese'!
This recipe was created by Liana Werner-Gray in New York, January 2013.
This recipe is part of © 2013 THE EARTH DIET ™ All Rights Reserved