The picture you see below is for a salad recipe that I'll be posting tomorrow. On top of this salad is the most wonderful vegan garnish ever: crispy, smoky BACON--made entirely of shiitake mushrooms! I'm posting this recipe separately because shiitake bacon can be eaten anytime.
6 medium sized shiitake mushrooms sliced into thin strips
For the Marinade:
1/4 c. sesame oil
1/4 c. tamari or Bragg’s liquid aminos
1/4 tsp. ground cumin
1/2- 1 full tsp. smoked paprika
1 tsp. brown rice or apple cider vinegar
1 tsp. maple syrup
1-2 tbsp. Coconut oil for frying
1. Using a whisk, combine ingredients for marinade until well blended. Add mushrooms and allow to marinate for at least 10 min and up to 2 hours.
2. Heat a small skillet over high heat. Turn heat down to med-high, add a tbsp of coconut oil.
3. Remove mushrooms from marinade and place in hot pan. The pan will smoke and sizzle. Make sure the mushrooms are not overlapped or touching one another. Keep an eye on the pan, these babies get hot fast!
4. Saute mushrooms by shaking or stirring them in the pan so they do not stick and burn. Cook until crispy. This will take a bit longer than a normal saute.
5. Once you have reached the desired texture, remove from pan and allow to cool.
+ High in Protein
+ Alternative to bacon!
* Every single recipe on this website uses nature’s ingredients, only. Always choose organic, local and seasonal whenever possible.
This recipe was created by Chef Hannah Gruber.
Photo thanks to Hannah Gruber.
This recipe is part of © 2014 The Earth Diet ™ All Rights Reserved