Serves: 6-8 as an appetizer or 3-4 as a meal
For the soup:
1-2 medium to large onions
1-2 potatoes, about equal in size to the onions
2-4 cups of radish tops, or any combination of turnips tops, arugula, mustard greens or other young tender, spicy greens, tough stems removed
1-2 tbsp sunflower oil
2-3 tsp of good salt
fresh squeezed lemon juice
a few pink radishes, cut into matchsticks for garnish
Cashew Yogurt (recipe below)
1.Slice the onions and potatoes about ¼ inch thick.
2. Spread a layer of onions in a large and deep, heavy-bottomed cast-iron pan or pot with about 1 tbsp of oil in the bottom. Turn the heat to medium high, and while the pan is heating up, spread a thing layer of potatoes over top the onions until they are covered.
3. Once the pan is hot and things are sizzling, give the whole dish several stirs so that nothing sticks to the bottom and burns. Adjust the temperature as necessary, and cook until the onions and potatoes began to turn translucent.
4. Once the vegetables begin to soften and gain a little color, add the greens and enough water to just cover everything. Turn the heat down so that the dish simmers but does not boil. The radish tops will turn bright green, and once they do, turn off the heat and remove the pan from the stove.
5. Blend the ingredients together using an immersion or high-speed blender until silky smooth.
6. Add a generous amount of salt (potatoes can take a lot of salt), lemon juice, and fresh black pepper. Give the soup a stir and wait a few moments before tasting. It takes about a minute for the seasonings to come through. Adjust seasoning to your taste. Serve with Cashew Yogurt and radishes for garnish.
Yield: 1 cup
½ cup whole, raw cashews, soaked 1-2 hours
¼ cup coconut milk
3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
zest from 1 lemon
1 tbsp freshly minced herbs: chives and mint work well together for the radish top soup
1. Blend all ingredients well in a Vitamix until smooth and creamy. Can be served immediately, however, yogurt become more tangy after 2-3 days in the refrigerator.
+ Good for weight loss + detoxification
+ Cancer protection
* Every single recipe on this website uses nature’s ingredients, only. Always choose organic, local and seasonal whenever possible.
This recipe was created by Chef Hannah Gruber.
Photo thanks to Roxxe NYC Photography.
This recipe is part of © 2013 The Earth Diet ™ All Rights Reserved