1 cup brown basmati rice
2 1/2 cups water
1 cinnamon stick
3 green cardamom pods
1 bay leaf
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
2 tablespoons coconut butter or creamed coconut
1. Cover rice with water and soak for at least 20 minutes. This helps to hydrate the rice so that it will cook more evenly. Drain water from rice.
2. Combine all ingredients except salt and coconut butter in a medium saucepan. Turn heat to high and bring rice to a boil; once it's boiling, reduce heat to low so that it is just simmering. Cover with a tight-fitting lid and simmer gently for 25 minutes.
3. After 25 minutes, all of the liquid should be cooked off. If it's too dry, your rice was a bit old. If there's still liquid and the rice is not quite finished, continue to cook. If your rice is just right, drain the remaining liquid.
4. Add salt and coconut butter or cream to rice. Stir to melt.
+ Good source of protein
+ Good digestive aid
+ High in Fiber
* Every single recipe on this website uses nature’s ingredients, only. Always choose organic, local and seasonal whenever possible.
This recipe was created by Chef Hannah Gruber.
Photo thanks to Roxxe NYC Photography.
This recipe is part of © 2014 The Earth Diet ™ All Rights Reserved