"This recipe is the second part to my celebratory Plant Based dinner for March. The cool, crispness of cucumber, the sweet-sourness of the dressing, and the bitterness of the collard greens make this a go-to salad anytime. Paired alongside my Zucchini Chickpea Fries, they create the perfect balance of light and fresh against comforting and crunchy. When you're looking to bring a little bit of joy into your life, always add something green to your plate!" Chef Hannah Gruber
1 bunch of collard greens
3/4 teaspoon of sea salt
1 small red cabbage
1 lemon cucmber (use Kirby or Persian or other small heirloom variety if you can’t find)
½ cup apple cider vinegar
3 tablespoon raw honey (or maple syrup)
1. Peel the cucumber. Using a mandolin, slice paper thin.
2. Combine cider vinegar, 1 tablespoon of the raw honey, and a teaspoon of sea salt in a pint-sized jar. Put the lid on and shake well until the honey has dissolved.
3. Add the cucumber slices and store in the refrigerator. Will be ready in 30 min, but can be made well in advance.
4. Stack the collard greens on top of one another, then fold this stack in half lengthwise. Cut into ½ inch wide ribbons, discarding the thick stems.
5. In a large, wide bowl add collards and a few pinches of salt. Using your hands, “massage” the greens until they begin to release their moisture and look wet. Let the collards marinate in their own juices up to an entire day. They can be eaten right away.
6. About an hour or two before serving, pour cucumber pickles with their juices over the collards. Toss gently to combine.
7. Shred the purple cabbage, and toss with the greens and cucumbers.
8. Drizzle the remaining honey over the salad to distribute evenly. Just before serving, taste for seasoning and adjust as necessary. Can be made a day in advance.
+ Lowers cholesterol
+ Cancer protection
+ Good source of chlorophyll
+ High in antioxidants
* Every single recipe on this website uses nature’s ingredients, only. Always choose organic, local and seasonal whenever possible.
This recipe was created by Chef Hannah Gruber.
Photo thanks to Roxxe NYC Photography.
This recipe is part of © 2014 The Earth Diet ™ All Rights Reserved