Chocolate Beet Cup Cakes
Makes 12 cupcakes
1 3/4 cup coconut sugar
1/4 cup almond milk
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup coconut oil
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 eggs (or to make it vegan mix 2 tablespoons of flax seed meal with 6 tablespoons of water and let sit for 5 minutes, it will become gummy like eggs.)
1 large beet grated to 3/4 cup
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups organic wholewheat flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup cacao powder
2/3 cup cacao powder
1/2 cup maple syrup (or raw honey)
1/4 cup coconut oil
1. Preheat the oven to 350 fahrenheit.
2. Beat together (either with electric mixer or blender, or fast hand speed in a bowl – haha), the coconut sugar with the almond milk, apple cider vinegar, salt, coconut oil and olive oil. For about 3 minutes until well combined and fluffy.
3. Beat in the eggs until fluffy. About 3 minutes.
4. Add the beet and the vanilla and beat for 1 minute or until well combined.
5. In a separate bowl stir together flour, baking soda, salt and cacao. Add to wet mix and mix with a spoon until just incorporated. Do not over mix this one. The mixture will be very thick and not pourable so spoon 3 tablespoons of mixture into each cup cake. It will make 14.
6. Reduce oven to 325 fahrenheit and cook for 25 minutes. While the cake is cooking make the icing, either mix the 3 ingredients in a bowl or blend together in a Vitamix. The icing is ready when it is thick and well combined.
7. Remove and allow to cool before icing the cake! Ice the cakes with a knife and eat! Store in fridge.
+ High in antioxidants (cacao is said to be higher in antioxidants than green tea and blueberries)
+ High in magnesium
+ Increasing Energy
+ Good for depression
+ Mood boosting
* Every single recipe on this website uses nature’s ingredients, only. Always choose organic, local and seasonal whenever possible.
This site is part of © 2013 The Earth Diet, Inc. ™ All Rights Reserved