Curry Lentil Soup
5 tablespoons extra-virgin coconut oil
1 brown onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
½-inch piece ginger, chopped
2 tablespoons curry powder
2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon sage
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper or more to taste
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
6 cups water
1½ cup lentils
3 stalks celery, cut in ¼-inch slices
1 carrot, cut in ¼-inch slices
Juice of one lemon
4 tablespoons fresh chopped cilantro
Serve with one chopped avocado and lime/lemon wedges
1. Heat the coconut oil in a large pot and add the onion and garlic. Sauté until golden brown (about 4 minutes). Add the ginger and stir-fry for one minute. Add the curry powder, cumin, thyme, sage, oregano, and turmeric powder. Stir-fry for one minute more. Add cayenne pepper, salt, and black pepper. Stir-fry for another 2 minutes until the spices are fragrant.
2. Stir in the water, lentils, celery, and carrot. Bring to a boil over high heat then reduce to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes or until lentils are soft.
3. Stir in the lemon and cilantro, and serve. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with more salt or cayenne pepper to taste!
1. Serve with Flat Bread
2. Serve with rice or quinoa
3. If you want a smoother, less chunky soup, puree the soup in a blender once cooked.
1. Add 2 chopped tomatoes and 1 tablespoon tomato paste when adding the water for Tomato Lentil Soup.
Calories: 437 Total Fat: 10g Carbohydrate: 79g Dietary Fiber: 5g Protein: 8g
Good for Digestive Health
High in Protein
Good for depression
Calming, grounding and healing recipe
* Every single recipe on this website uses nature’s ingredients, only. Always choose organic, local and seasonal whenever possible.
This recipe was created by Liana Werner-Gray.
Photo thanks to Roxxe NYC Photography.
This recipe is part of © 2013 The Earth Diet ™ All Rights Reserved