Ginger Cilantro Lentil Soup
5 tablespoons extra-virgin coconut oil
1 brown onion, chopped
3-inch piece ginger, chopped
2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon sage
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper or more to taste
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
6 cups water
1½ cup lentils
3 stalks celery, cut in ¼-inch slices
1 carrot, cut in ¼-inch slices
Juice of one lemon
1/2 cup cilantro
4 tablespoons fresh chopped cilantro to serve
Serve with one sliced avocado and lime/lemon wedges
1. Heat the coconut oil in a large pot and add the onion and ginger. Sauté until golden brown (about 4 minutes). Add the cumin, thyme, sage and turmeric powder. Stir-fry for one minute more. Add cayenne pepper, salt, and black pepper. Stir-fry for another 2 minutes until the spices are fragrant.
2. Stir in the water, lentils, celery, carrot and 1/2 cup cilantro. Bring to a boil over high heat then reduce to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes or until lentils are soft.
3. Stir in the lemon juice and cilantro, and serve. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with more salt or cayenne pepper to taste! Top with sliced avocado and lemon wedges.
1. Serve with Flat Bread
2. Serve with rice or quinoa
3. If you want a smoother, less chunky soup, puree the soup in a blender once cooked.
1. Add 2 chopped tomatoes and 1 tablespoon tomato paste when adding the water for Tomato Lentil Soup.
Calories: 437 Total Fat: 10g Carbohydrate: 79g Dietary Fiber: 5g Protein: 8g
+ Good for Digestive Health
+ High in Protein
+ Increasing Energy
+ Immune Boosting
+ Good for depression
+ Calming, grounding and healing recipe
* Every single recipe on this website uses nature’s ingredients, only. Always choose organic, local and seasonal whenever possible.
This recipe was created by Liana Werner-Gray.
Photo thanks to Roxxe NYC Photography.