Hot Cross Muffins (Gluten Free)
2 medium/large carrots (about 2 rounded cups not packed)
1 small courgette (zucchini)
250g ground almonds
80g sultanas & raisins (or any dried fruit mix)
Grated rind of 1 unwaxed orange
2 large organic eggs (extra large in the US)
2 tblsps extra virgin olive oil or warmed coconut oil
80ml acacia honey
1 tblsp organic cider vinegar
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 rounded tsps cinnamon
½ rounded tsp ground ginger
½ rounded tsp mace (or nutmeg)
¼ rounded tsp allspice
¼ tsp sea salt
If you need to convert these measurements or use a Fahrenheit oven setting, google conversions. These are approximate though since it depends on the size of your cup.
1. Place some paper cases into a muffin tray.
2. Set the oven to 170° C (fan/convection oven). Peel and grate the carrots, at this point they weigh about 250 grams. Squeeze the moisture out with some paper towel.
3. Slice a piece of the courgette into thin strips.
5. Measure out the honey, eggs, extra virgin olive oil and cider vinegar into another bowl and whisk together with a balloon whisk or fork.
6. Add the grated carrots to the dry ingredients and mix together.
7. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix quickly because the vinegar starts to react with the bicarbonate of soda straight away and this helps the muffins to rise.
9. Bake in the oven for twenty minutes then turn down the heat to 160° C for a further 10 to 15 minutes. They are cooked when a skewer inserted into the muffin comes out clean and the top springs back when lightly touched. Don’t be tempted to open the door before 30 minutes.
10. Leave on a cooling rack to cool.These are nice warm as well as cold. HAPPY EASTER!!!This recipe provided by and thanks to Gluten Free SCD and Veggie !!! March 2013
+ Gluten Free
+ Dairy Free
+ Soy Free
+ Refined Sugar Free
+ Grain freeThis recipe is part of © 2013 THE EARTH DIET ™ All Rights Reserved