Java-less Joe – Herbal Alternative to Coffee
Serves: 2 (12 oz. each)
24 ounces of boiled water
2 tablespoons roasted chicory root
1 tablespoon roasted almonds (crushed into a meal)
2 teaspoons dandelion root
¼ teaspoon raw cacao powder
1. If necessary, set oven to 350 and roast almonds for about 15 minutes or until a darker brown. When toasty, crush almonds into a meal. I used a mortar & pestle, but a food processor works too.
2. Add all ingredients to a coffee or tea press.
3. Add boiled water to press and let it steep for 5-10 minutes.
4. Press and drink as you would your favorite cup of coffee!
- Chicory root has been known for its liver cleansing and blood purifying power. The ancient Egyptians and Romans were known to consume chicory in large quantities for this reason. Chicory is also loaded with antioxidants and increases the flow of bile, which works as a digestive aid.
- Dandelion root promotes healthy digestion, improves liver function, diuretic that helps clear out kidneys, immune boosting, reduces inflammation, and helps lower blood pressure.