Vegan Shepherds Pie
Mashed Potatoes (top layer):
5 russet potatoes
½ cup plain unsweetened almond milk (hemp milk for nut alternative)
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons Himalayan salt (or good sea salt)
½ cup coconut oil or grapeseed oil
3 tablespoons vegan cashew cream cheese (http://www.theearthdiet.org/5/post/2012/11/cashew-cheese.html)
1. Boil russet potatoes.
2. Mash potatoes and mix in all other ingredients!
1 yellow onion chopped
2 carrots chopped
3 celery stalks chopped
½ cup peas
1 tomato diced
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning (thyme, basil, rosemary, oregano, basil, marjoram)
2 cloves garlic chopped finely
1 cup Portobello mushrooms
1 cup lentils (pre-cooked )
1. Sauté all ingredients together until thoroughly cooked.
2. Add lentils towards the end.
For Shepherd’s Pie:
1. Heat oven to 400 degrees (ºF) or 204 Celsius.
2. Put bottom portion in an oven safe dish.
3. Put mashed potato layer on top.
4. Add nutritional yeast as the ‘cheese’ on top.
5. Bake for 20 minutes.
HAPPY SAINT PATRICK’S DAY!
This recipe was created by Keri Vannucci-Olson.
This recipe is part of © 2013 THE EARTH DIET ™ All Rights Reserved